Friday, June 19, 2009

Is she yours...?

Sophie's first night with us...
Ok, so tonight's post is mostly a rant so please be patient! Today, Norm took mom, myself and my kids to a local restuarant for lunch-he is really doing a great job with the kids and I am grateful for this. I will not mention the restaurant name here... Anyways, it always starts out the same and I was finally ready after having Sophie home for over two years now. The waitress comes out and asks "can I ask you a question?" Yes you may-"well it may make you mad"...I love this line-my first thought is just keep it to yourself then but I always smile and say it is fine go ahead-mostly because I know they won't and will just rephrase it later! "Is she (Sophie) yours"-Why yes she is and seeing how we were the only people in the restaurant the probability would be extremely high she is (big social cue here). "Oh I didn't know because she is so much darker than you and you are a red head and your son is red head and she just..." This would be the time to move on but no, any social cues would not be heard of for this one... "Oh, I guess I just thought she might be adopted or something" Why yes, we did adopt her, she is my daughter. I think after that she was catching on-finally! "Oh Ok"

I know we will get questions like this as we do all the time but my main concern is now Sophie understands people and it will eventually be a real issue. I do not know how much she understands now at almost three but she did have something to tell the waitress- No my mommy! You go girl-I may not have to worry so much about you after all...

No comments: